So I asked my friend Lady Agatha, who, by the way, is very good when it comes to sewing ALL-THE-THINGS in the SCA, how to go about creating those lacing holes for my kirtle. Blanket stitch what? She has the patience of a saint! So with much encouragement, thank god for instant messaging, she talked me through some strategies and then ta-da! Here are some lacing holes!
I think it took me two days and probably 5 or 6 hours to get it done. The dress looked much better. But as Lady Agatha noted when she saw me in it later, the dress seemed to twist to the side a bit. She said that when you add lacing holes after the dress has been made, it will often do that. Hmmmm…..that will be something I will have to experiment with later on.
Please try to ignore how tired I look here. I had just spent hours in the kitchen working on a feast with my friend Baroness Margaret, sitting to my left here. Lady Isabella is sitting to my right. The picture was taken by Jenn Miller at the Celebration of King Richard III, a Feast and a Ball, commemorating his re-internment. It wasn’t Jenn’s fault that I look so awful. It had been a busy, busy day in the kitchen. But anyways, you can see the lacing in the front of the dress here! The lacing did make my dress fit a bit better, closer and more form fitting. And certainly it appears to be a bit more “period”. I may never be a Laurel for my sewing skills, but I can fake it well enough!